Saturday, December 5, 2009

Homemade Halloween Costume Ideas

Homemade Halloween Costume Ideas
I love Halloween!  I love the whole spirit of dressing up and making people laugh with my Halloween costumes each year.  It is the only day of the year where you and random strangers drop the shield and can just laugh and have fun, and you can be disguised while doing it.  It isn’t the same as New [...]

I love Halloween!  I love the whole spirit of dressing up and making people laugh with my Halloween costumes each year.  It is the only day of the year where you and random strangers drop the shield and can just laugh and have fun, and you can be disguised while doing it.  It isn’t the same as New Years Eve, St. Patrick’s Day, and the night before Thanksgiving.  Halloween is such a fun day and I’m a little sad that I don’t have a job to go today so that I can attempt to win our annual Halloween costume contest. 

umbrella-holder

I loved being ridiculously silly at my old civil service job, and every year I’d make sure to visit all of our departments so we could all have a good laugh, because when the public would see me dressed up as Michael Jackson, and I would be doing the moonwalk, or walk around with my own umbrella holder, well, they would forget all about bitching at you that day and just be happy

me-as-mj

This year I had an 80s party to go to and instead of wearing vintage 80s clothes like I had originally planned, as I still miss the banana clip, I decided to go with a movie-themed costume. 

flashdancer-2-copy1

 

I dressed up as Jennifer Beals as Alex from Flashdance, which was pretty funny in my own mind, but I’ll let you be the judge.  We had some music technical difficulties, so I never got to dance my routine to Oh, What a Feeling!  Just visualize me dancing here.

I enjoy the whole creating-your-own-Halloween-costume thing, and I thought I could give some of you last minute Halloween costume people some ideas, and being a huge fan of movies, I thought a movie character list would work and be fun.  Plus, Salvation Army has tons of clothes at cheap prices.  Sometimes, just going through the racks will inspire you to come up with something.

  • Wayne or Garth from Wayne’s World – Flannel, jeans, and attitude.  A guitar would so make you not worthy. 
  • Marty McFly from Back to the Future – Red vest, skateboard, jeans.
  • Jake or Elwood Blues from The Blues Brothers – Black suit, back hat, black sunglasses.
  • Alex from Clockwork Orange – Just need a black bowler hate, while clothes, and one fake eyelash and mascara.
  • Carrie - Prom dress and fake blood.  Long red hair or wig would pull it off nicely.
  • Marry Poppins – Umbrella, carpet bag, and overcoat, with a nice little hat to top it off.
  • Elliot and ET – My friend M. did this with her dad as a kid and it is still my favorite Halloween story of all time, since they did it right after the movie came out.  He wore a red hoodie and put her in the bike basket, and she was wearing some little brown felt thing to make her look ET-ish, while wrapped in a blanket. 
  • Brady Bunch – Got a group of people?  This would be so much fun to do, just get some groovy clothes and learn the moves to Keep on movin’.  My friend K. tells me she did this once, and has no photos from that night, which breaks my heart. 
  • Angelina Jolie at the Oscars, for her role in Girl, Interrupted - I dressed up as this in 2003, since my Daisy Duke costume wasn’t going to be appropriate for work.  I had the wig, the dress and the state all laying around my house.   me-as-scary-aj
  • One of the Hanson Brothers from Slapshot- Here I am in 1995.  Love this movie. me-as-a-hanson-brother

Not many of my girlfriends had seen the movies, but every guy I ran into died when they saw me in this.  So dudes, this clip is for you:

Got any of your own tips?  What have you dressed up in the past?  Let me hear them!

Posted in 80s, 90s, Angelina Jolie, entertainment, Film Blogs, Flashdance, fun, Geeks, ghetto, Halloween, Halloween Costume Pictures, Michael Jackson, Movie Blogs, movies, nerds, photography, photography blogs, photos, pop culture, The Blues Brothers, The Brady Bunch, The Hanson Brothers Tagged: Breaking news, fashion, fun, Halloween Costume Ideals, Halloween Costume Photos, Halloween costumes, Halloween Parties, humor, Movie themed Halloween Costumes, news, personal

Source: thegirlfromtheghetto.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment