Thursday, December 17, 2009

OPEN THREAD: Are People Actually Excited About Avatar?

OPEN THREAD: Are People Actually Excited About Avatar?
I’m torn on the Avatar issue. While I plan on seeing the movie anyway, thus making the following deliberation moot, I’m still trying to make sense of exactly what to expect when I walk into that theater (seven hours early, cause that’s what everyone does in this stupid city). On one hand, the reviews are pretty [...]

Avatar PosterI’m torn on the Avatar issue. While I plan on seeing the movie anyway, thus making the following deliberation moot, I’m still trying to make sense of exactly what to expect when I walk into that theater (seven hours early, cause that’s what everyone does in this stupid city).

On one hand, the reviews are pretty unanimously positive, the praise itself has been borderline superlative from some circles (”It’s gonna change filmmaking so much, this is literally the first movie ever made!!”), and James Cameron, though he hasn’t made a blockbuster in a while, really hasn’t ever made a bad movie (I’m not a Titanic fan, but it’s hard to call the most successful film of all time a “bad” movie).

On the other hand, though, every time I see those blue people, I feel like the boy in The Emperor’s New Clothes wondering why no one else is pointing out “These things actually look really, really stupid.” Plus, most of the praise centers around the effects and the aspects of filmmaking itself more so than the movie being interesting or having a plot. Also, if the trailer line “Yer not in Kansas anymoooahhhhh!!!!” is actually in the movie, it’s gonna have to be pretty damn awesome the rest of the time for me to not be laughing at it constantly.

So what’s the verdict? Are you super-psyched to see Avatar? Highly skeptical of the monumental praise? Or just walkin’ in there with no expectations?

Avatar excitedness – leave it in the comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment